Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Just another thought: Blogging about blogging

I've decided that blogs are a good thing depending on the content and purpose.
I find the refdesk blog really great - it puts the info we need to provide a good refdesk service in a place that's easy to use and update. Thanks to the ref desk committee for all their work in making it available. It certainly beats having to search through old emails to find the answer you need right now!
I understand one of the purposes of this blog was to save each refdesk staff member from having to keep copies of the emails that come to the list. That's true, but if we had archived the messages to refdesk in the first place, we wouldn't have had to all keep our own copies of each email.
So do blogs have a place in libraries? I'd say yes. I don't know how we'd manage access to it. Who do we allow to post and/or comment? How do the posters identify themselves? How would their identities show up on a library blog - are there privacy issues here? I'm sure there are more questions, but I think blogs are worth considering.

No comments: