Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Thing 19: How many lives do we need?

Second Life is interesting.
It's another way of meeting people, communicating with them, getting to know them (or their avatars), and going to places.
I do wonder if it has a place for people who feel marginalised in some way, or feel that they just don't fit into mainstream society. Does Second Life give them the opportunity to take on a different persona, and experiment with being 'just like everyone else'? Is this a good thing? I did read a newspaper article which suggested, half-seriously, that if you don't like this life, then there's always Second Life (when I find the article I'll note the details so I can find it again!).
So for libraries, is it another communication channel we should use for clients who don't feel comfortable communicating with us FTF, by phone, by email, by snail mail, etc?

No comments: