Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Things 17-18: Tweeting about Twitter

I'd like to thank my fellow 23 Thing People who've become my friends in Twitter and have helped me understand why it exists and how it can be used.
However, I've decided that Twitter is not for me. It's great for people who like to communicate in short sharp bursts (of text) and share their thoughts with their friends. I see it can be linked up to mobile phones and SMS - though I didn't investigate this bit.
For libraries? I think the message limit of 140 characters is limiting, you can't say much, even with abbreviations.
What Twitter has highlighted, for me, is that some people like to communicate in short sharp bursts of text - it works for them. So we need to remember this when thinking about how and what we communicate with our clients - Not Too Much Detail to start with!
Update 3/12/08: have now redone Twitter as part of 23 Things 2008 (Thing 18). I found it a bit disconcerting to receive 'follower' requests from people whose 'names' did not identify them as someone I know. However, I've now worked out how to give myself a real name so people can identify me as me rather than just 'sue10749'.
So, what uses for Twitter in a library? Well, as Kathryn does, letting people know where you are when. It's useful for someone like Kathryn who never sits still for a moment! More seriously, I guess it could be used as a 'mini' blog to communicate with users about things happening now or soon - eg South Wing of the library will be closed this coming Friday. How would we manage requests from others to follow us? We do need to communicate with our users in ways that suit them, so perhaps we need a Twitter presence as just one channel of communication - just as we'd also need Facebook, and so on. Of course, we need to be able to manage these ...

No comments: